So tell, us, conservative columnists, what is it about the Republican Establishment that has the rank-and-file so upset?
- Its failure to impeach Obama?
- Its failure to pass its program over Obama's veto?
- And, if so, what is that program it should have passed?
- Repeal of Obamacare?
- Massive spending cuts?
- The end of the New Deal?
- A birther investigation?
- Or is the rank-and-file angry over the establishment's friendliness to foreign trade and immigration?
- Its obsessive focus on cutting taxes at the top and gutting regulations?
- Its eagerness to start wars?
- Its acquiescence to same sex marriage and trans-gender bathrooms?
- Its failure to confront "political correctness?" And, if so, what exactly is this political correctness and how should Republican leaders be confronting it?
- Or is it just angry that Republican leadership is too polite and not really angry and vulgar, like Trump?
Somehow the answers to these questions are never more than faintly hinted at. If I were part of the Republican Establishment, I would be taking surveys, figuring out answers, and looking for some concrete suggestions on what to change.